THE EUROPEAN CANCER AND ENVIRONMENT RESEARCH INSTITUTE
ECERI is a collaborative network of scientific researchers from all over Europe willing to combine their efforts to discover and understand environmental causes of cancer and other suspected environment-associated human diseases or disorders.
Gathering high scientific skills allows breakthroughs in knowledge of cancer and other environment-related diseases and disorders.
Over the last two or three decades there has been a worldwide continuous drastic increase in the incidence of many diseases or disorders such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, obesity, allergies, Alzheimer disease, autism, hypofertility, congenital malformation, rare diseases, etc. Today research is ever more focused on the biological (molecular) alterations in the organism which may be associated with diseases or disorders, not on their real underlying causes. This may explain why most of these diseases or disorders are presently considered idiopathic, ie without comprehensive causal explanation. However, that such increased incidence is related to environmental factors including diet modification and/or chemical, physical and/or biological degradation of the environment, is an hypothesis that has recently emerged.
ECERI was therefore created to help fill the gap between present scientific knowledge as to the environmental causes of disease; as well as current medical practice and research, as there are only few research institutions specifically devoted to investigating the environmental causes of diseases, particularly for cancer.
What is ECERI?
A European network of researchers
A scientific worldwide leading institution
- boost European research in the field of environmental carcinogenesis
- spread such research to all European countries through developing international scientific collaborations,
- create pan-Europe data bases for these research fields,
- provide scientific expertise to European and worldwide international health institutions,
- make health recommendations to the public.
- Using epidemiological, toxicological and/or bio-chemical approaches, the institute directs and triggers Europe-wide innovative research to uncover environmental causes of cancer and other diseases.
- Especially ECERI focuses its research efforts on both the genetic and epigenetic mechanisms and on the environment contributions to the origin of diseases.
KBC Bank account IBAN BE93 7340 3580 8567 BIC KREDBEBB ECERI ASBL