Pesticide, nutrition and cancer
The aim is to conduct a large-scale epidemiological, toxicological, and ecological study including geographically related lifestyle factors. A scientific publication is underway on this topic, confirming the role of organochlorine pesticides in prostate cancer, and partly of diet in breast and colon cancer.
Moreover a study measuring organochlorine pesticides, PCBs and other persisting organic pollutants in the adipose tissue from patients with colon cancer and in foetus from spontaneous abortion is underway in collaboration with researchers from Martinique, a French Carraebian island.
- Belpomme D, Irigaray P. Environment as a potential key determinant of the continued increase of prostate cancer incidence in martinique.Prostate Cancer. 2011;2011:819010. doi: 10.1155/ 2011/819010. Epub 2011 Nov 30. Abstract
- Belpomme D, Irigaray P. Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment After the Introduction of Prostate-Specific Antigen Screening: 1986-2005. JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute ; 2010 Apr 7;102(7):506-7.Abstract
- Irigaray P, Belpomme D. Basic properties and molecular mechanisms of exogenous chemical carcinogens. Carcinogenesis. 2010 Feb;31(2):135-148; doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgp252. Abstract
- Belpomme D, Irigaray P, Landau-Ossondo M, Martin M. The growing incidence of prostate cancer in the French Caribbean islands, Martinique and Guadeloupe: A possible causal role of pesticides. Int J Oncol. 2009 Aug;35(2):433. Abstract
- Landau-Ossondo M, Rabia N, Jos-Pelage J, Marquet LM, Isidore Y, Saint-Aimé C, Martin M, Irigaray P, Belpomme D. Why pesticides could be a common cause of prostate and breast cancers in the French Caribbean Island, Martinique. An overview on key mechanisms of pesticide-induced cancer. Biomed Pharmacother. 2009. Jul;63(6):383-395.
- Irigaray P., Newby J.A., Lacomme S., BelpommeD. Overweight/obesity and cancer genesis: More than a biological link. Biomed Pharmacother. 2007 Dec;61(10):665-678. Abstract
- Belpomme D., Irigaray P., Hardell L., Montagnier L., Epstein S.S., Clapp R., Sasco A.J. The multitude and diversity of exogenous carcinogens. Environ. Research, 105 (2007) 414–429. Abstract